Since moving to our new state 6 months ago, I’ve struggled to find local friends. I’ve tried, oh, how I’ve tried, but I just haven’t found “my people” yet.
For me, the isolation of motherhood is by far the hardest part of staying at home.
I feel stuck at home most of the time due to the cold weather, nap times, and well…I don’t have anywhere else to go but to the grocery store.
Sometimes I yearn for connections with other people outside this house, so I leave. I walk aimlessly through Target (which is not really a good idea for your bank account!), or I take the kids to a local deli for lunch, but it’s not the same as really connecting with others.
I’ve moved multiple times in my life…3 since becoming a mom. I’ve always had successes in finding friends, and even wrote a post about it here.
But I am struggling this time.
Maybe it’s the fact that I’m a mother of two, so I have more to juggle. Or maybe it’s just that I’m not meeting the right people. Who knows why, really? It’s just not as easy this time.
Because this is something I’m struggling with, I’ve started looking for solutions. Here’s my current plan of attack.
- Leave the house! I find I’m so much harder on myself and feel so much more lonely when I don’t go anywhere. So, I try to go somewhere at least 4 times a week. Dropping my son off at Mother’s Day Out totally counts btw.
- Do something that makes me happy! I have joined a gym…and am loving it. The kids get to play in the kid area while I get to spend time just for me. I’m hoping that I might meet some new people too.
- Be grateful for the friends I do have! Truthfully, I have some amazing friendships in my life. Unfortunately, none of them live nearby, but that doesn’t mean we can’t connect with each other. I talk to my best friend of 20 years multiple times during the week. Her friendship fills my soul like nothing else, and I need to remember to be grateful for that, especially when I’m feeling lonely. I also need to remember that I have some awesome friends scattered all over the globe and Facebook keeps me connected with almost everyone!
- Keep trying! I have to remember that in order to have good friends, I need to be a good friend first. I will do nice things for others and really try to take care of the people in my life.
I will continue to put myself out there, and pray that there is a connection soon!
- So tell me, do you ever feel the loneliness of motherhood?
Latest posts by Amanda (see all)
- Three Simple Steps To Raising A Kind Kid - October 13, 2016
- A Surprising Approach to Sibling Rivalry - September 20, 2016
- 5 Sure Fire Ways to Stop The After School Attitude - September 6, 2016